We are excited to have a team of 6 students from our school competing in the Youth Division of the Rescue Run for Youthline and raising money and awareness for Youthline's vital Helpline Services.
It costs approximately $800,000 a year to run the Helpline Services. Last year, Youthline managed over 300,000 contacts to their nationwide hubs via phone calls, text messages and emails. They also supported over 50,000 young people across New Zealand and it’s a big part of Youthline’s expenses each year. That's a lot of young kiwi's reaching out in a time of need and crisis!
We are committing to raising $5,000 for Youthline, and by doing so we will keep the Helpline Services running for 55 hours, and/or help support 166 young people. This is no easy feat, and it will make a big difference to the young people who call in their time of need.
The government funds only $87,000 of the cost to run Youthline's Helpline Services so the money raised through our team at Wesley College will go directly to these services. If all 20 of the secondary schools competing in the Rescue Run for Youthline reach their goals of $5,000 each then combined we will be contributing more than the government do - how cool is that?!
Please help us reach our goal by making a donation to support Youthline's Helpline Services.
• $15 - $15.00 gives 15 minutes. Help a young person make first contact.
• $30 - The average length of a phone counselling session.
• $45 - Will keep the Helpline Services running for half an hour
• $60 - When someone is in crisis, there is no average. These connections take time. Support our 24/7 crisis team with some of the most challenging conversations they will ever have.
• $90 - Will keep the Helpline Services running for an hour.
Thank you for your support.
By supporting Youthline we hope to learn how to support our friends, gain the skills to look after ourselves when times get tough, and be leaders of positive change in our school and communities.